Libelium the creators of Waspmote have developed a new capability within their Meshlium Xtreme multiprotocol router that is able to detect any smartphone, laptop or networked device (including the ability to say if the smartphone is using an Iphone or Android OS) which comes into the coverage area.
The system uses a combination of signals from the areas Wifi and Bluetooth activity to do this including gathering a passing devices:
- MAC address (These are not associate with a specific user account or mobile phone number)
- Strength of signal (RSSI) – This can give distance measurements
- The Wifi Access Point (if any) and the Bluetooth friendly name.
- The Class of Device (CoD) in case of Bluetooth which allows the ability to differentiate the type of device (Smartphone, Handsfree, Computer, LAN/Network AP) and if the signal is coming from a pedestrian or car.
With this technology it is possible to monitor vehicle speed levels and feed that information into traffic management systems, or use it for pedestrian analytic systems for monitoring the number of people passing through an intersection or visiting a certain store or location.
Applications related to Shopping and Street activities:
- Number of people passing daily in a street
- Average time of the stance of the people in a street
- Differentiate between residents (daily matches) and visitants (sporadic matches)
- Walking routes of people in shopping malls and average time in each area
The Vehicle Traffic Monitoring is also another important application as understanding the flow and congestion of vehicular traffic is essential for efficient road systems in cities. Smooth vehicle flows reduce journey times, reduce emissions and save energy. Similarly the efficient flow of pedestrians in an airport, stadium or shopping centre saves time and can make the difference between a good and a bad visit. Monitoring traffic – whether road vehicles or people – is useful for operators of roads, attractions and transport hubs.
Applications for Vehicle Traffic Detection:
- Monitor in real time the number of vehicles passing for a certain point in highways and roads
- Detect average time of vehicle stance for traffic congestion prevention
- Monitor average speed of vehicles in highways and roads
- Provide travel times on alternate routes when congestion is detected
More information about the device and this detection capability at: http://www.libelium.com/smartphones_iphone_android_detection